1. Tell us who you are and where you’re from.: My name is George Woods, and I’m a Folk-Funk artist from Boston Massachusetts over in the states.
2. Describe your music.: Well the title we’ve been going with thus far is Folk-Funk. Story and lyric based songs with an edge of soul and groove. Most, if not all of it, is based on the acoustic guitar. Which is handy for the travelling solo musician trying to pedal his wares. All I’m trying to do is write the songs in a way that I can connect with the story and so can you so that I can deliver them properly and so that ‘you’ (aka everyone) can feel them properly, and hopefully relate. Trying to give the lonely people a friend so to speak.
3. Tell us how the band formed in three sentences.: This current incarnation of my music comes after the break up of my former band Birds in the Woods. This lead to a year long writing and recording project that’s resulted in the new record ‘Technicolor Costs Too Much’. This gave me a chance to go control freak on it by producing engineering writing performing almost the whole thing, and it’s turned out wonderfully!
4. What did you do before you were in a band?: I actually used to orchestrate for Big Band. I won’t mention my career as a Masked Mexican Wrestler. They called me “El Mucho Gordo”. I wrestled sumo style.
5. List the first CDs/records each of you bought.: Billy Joel – The Stranger
6. What’s the band up to over the next few months?: Setting up tours and pushing the record.
7. Best item of fan mail you’ve ever received?: A shinny silver Man Thong. It was a strange day. Other than that just wonderful compliments or stories about how my song really helped someone with something or is just flat out stuck in their head.
8. What music do you have on repeat in the tourbus? : Bon Iver’s total catalogue.
9. What gear do you use?: Larrive D-03 Acoustic/Electric guitar, Boss OC-3, and a Digitech Stereo JamMan mostly.
10. What’s your best on-tour story?: Got caught skinny dipping with my old violinist Sue by a state trooper in a state park in New York once. It wouldn’t have been too weird if the guy wasn’t so keen on flashing his flashlight absolutely EVERYWHERE.
11. What do you demand on your rider?: Ha! If I was in the position to demand things I would probably request 200 dwarf servants wearing stripper outfits on hand at all times to do my bidding. They would mainly be responsible for inciting political discussion and separating out all my green M&M’s.
12. What’s your website?: http://www.georgewoodsmusic.com/