1. Tell us who you are and where you’re from.: We are MaLoKai from the UK.
Alex, Vocals is a Welshman.
Andy, Lead Guitar is from Northern Ireland.
Dack, Rhythm, is from Ohio, U.S
G, Bass is from Bolivia
Dave, Drums is from Engalnd.
2. Describe your music.: Pop-Punk, with a few breakdowns, gang vocals and ‘attempted screamo’.
3. Tell us how the band formed in three sentences.: Internet. Ads. Relpies!
4. What did you do before you were in a band?: Alex was a primary school teacher. Andy built forklifts. Dack was fresh out of ‘High-School’. G had some hig paying office job in London and Dave was a bar man, and just finished a History degree.
5. List the first CDs/records each of you bought.: Alex – Thousand Foot Krutch – Set it off and Phenomenon.
Skillet – Collide.
Dave – Something U2.
Andy – Bewitched – C’et la vie! On cassette!
G – Puerto Seguro, Petra
6. What’s the band up to over the next few months?: The release of the ‘Heart Beats’ EP, then lots of touring. We have a
bunch of UK stuff booked and are working on more at the moment. We’ll
also be writing for a full length album too.
7. Best item of fan mail you’ve ever received?: Posters! We get sick posters all the time, so we pin them up in our van!!
8. What music do you have on repeat in the tourbus? : Usually some Underoath, Devil Wears Prada, or something. Anything that G has on his phone. He is the man when it comes to listening to music!
9. What gear do you use?: Mics – SM58s all the way! Mesa Boogie Dual Rec, Marshall JCM 800, both heads with Marshall 4×12 cabs. Ampeg SVT 4 Pro with an 8×10 cab for the bass. Drums – we’re currently working that out. Dave’s been running a Pearl Masters, but it’s not really making the cut. So we’re on Truth’s
case. Watch this space!
10. What’s your best on-tour story?: Ha, we are creating new ones all the time. There are so many stories.
One time, G, the bassist got out the van – in the middle of Scotland,
in the middle of the night. We didn’t realise and drove off without
him. By the time we realized, a fair bit of time had passed. Took a
while to find the poor boy. In his T-shirt, freezing cold, not the best English in the world, as he’s from Bolivia, so understanding any Scottish accent is unlikely. Fun Times!
11. What do you demand on your rider?: As long as there’s food, we’re cool. We generally take our gear everywhere in the van, so we have no worries about not using the right
stuff. We’re actually working towards our own PA system, and tech guys.
We want to put on the best show possible, but it’s not always easy
working with random people all the time, and sometimes you end up with
bad systems. But we try not to moan about it and just rock out
regardless of the circumstances. People are there to have a good time,
so are we!
12. What’s your website?: http://www.malokai.co.uk