1. Tell us who you are and where you’re from.: We are Take The Seven, consisting of Dan (Vocals), Jay (Guitar), Simon (Guitar), Joe (Bass) and Gareth (Drums). We hail from the town of Chesterfield, North Derbyshire.
2. Describe your music.: Derbyshire-driven commercial rock.
3. Tell us how the band formed in three sentences.: Dan and Jay have played together under various lineups for a several years.
Take The Seven was formed when Simon and Joe joined the ranks.
Gareth is the latest addition to our band of merry men.
4. What did you do before you were in a band?: We have all known each other and been friends for years.
We were all in bands prior to forming Take The Seven.
In terms of our commitments outside of the band Simon, Joe and Gaz work full-time and Jay and Dan are studying in Leeds and Sheffield respectively. The dream is to sign to a label and be able to write, record and perform for a living.
5. List the first CDs/records each of you bought.: Dan – Will Smith – Big Willie Style
Jay – Metallica – Metallica (Black Album)
Si – The Offspring – Smash
Joe – Slipknot – Iowa
Gareth – Slipknot – Slipknot
6. What’s the band up to over the next few months?: We are hopefully heading back into the studio later this year to start work on demos for either a new EP or album. Other than that we will just continue to gig and try to promote ourselves! We won a competition recently through our local radio station Peak FM to perform at a local firework celebration on Bonfire Night and played to over 15,000 people. That was by far the biggest crowd we have ever played to and was a mind-blowing experience!
7. Best item of fan mail you’ve ever received?: We recently released a cover of Adele’s ‘Set Fire To The Rain’ on YouTube. We wanted to pay homage to a great track by recording a completely different take on it. Although it is not fan-mail as such, the response by way of messages and comments on the video itself and our YouTube channel has been phenomenal and we are massively appreciative of the support.
8. What music do you have on repeat in the tourbus? : Oddly enough, the musical tastes in this band are very different. Although we share a passion for a lot of bands such as Daughtry and Nickelback, you will often find Joe listening to something along the lines Periphery, Jay probably listening to Funeral For A Friend or Jimmy Eat World, Simon to Dream Theater, Dan to Reuben and Gareth to Opeth!
9. What gear do you use?: Jay – Blackstar Amplification and Gibson Les Paul/Fender Telecaster
Simon – Engl Powerball and Ernie Ball Music Man JPX
Joe – Ampeg Amplification SVT Pro 7 (and the cab that’s as big as a fridge) and Ibanez SR Series 600
Gareth – Tama Hyperdrive Superstar drums, Zildjian A Custom, Z Custom and K Custom cymbals
10. What’s your best on-tour story?: We played a gig in Skegness once… Over the course of the weekend we played a lot of mini-golf. We brought a few fans with us. This meant that at any one time, there were 10 or so of us playing mini-golf. As far as we can remember (a lot of alcohol was consumed over the weekend) we found that a recurring theme of each course was a maximum par of 7 for each hole. As there were a lot of us playing, if anybody was having a Lionel Blair and would obviously take more than 7 attempts to putt the ball, we continually found ourselves saying “take the seven”, i.e. take the maximum par and move on. That, in a nutshell, is where the name came from!
11. What do you demand on your rider?: We’ve never actually demanded a rider before… a couple bottles of Jagermesiter and a crate of Carlsberg would be lovely.
12. What’s your website?: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Take-The-Seven/108414849207638